Research Project Committee (RPC)
Research Committee Overview
The role of the Research Committee is to promote, foster, support and disseminate high quality research activities and develop research capacity, in line with the TBRI research strategy.
The committee supports ideas with the greatest potential with a specific purpose and a defined endpoint to advance health-related fundamental or applied knowledge.
A strategic objective of the Committee is the building of research capacity to increase both the quality and quantity of academic research, in order to be regarded as a leading institute not only in Egypt, but also internationally.
Specific aims of the Research Committee are as follows
- Formulation of TBRI research strategy.
- Enhancement of the research culture of TBRI.
- Introduction of incentives to promote research endeavors.
Activities and Responsibilities
Key responsibilities of the Research Committee include:
- Initiation, facilitation and support research projects that are presented for funding through the budget of the TBRI in terms of consistency with the TBRI strategic plan and priority themes.
- To create a conducive environment for promotion of Research & Innovation activities in the institute through encouragement of TBRI Researchers to apply for Research Projects.
- Consider whether applications for internal grants are appropriate and endorse applications prior to submitting to the reviewer panel for evaluation.
- Approve projects/programs and Allocate research funding available from TBRI budget.
- Approving, distributing funds for the implementation of projects.
- Careful consideration of research budgets, timelines, outcomes and usefulness within the strategic research policy of the institute.
- Address any issue that has major implications for the accepted projects and ensuring the smooth running of the “accepted projects”.
- Review annual and final reports of accepted research projects (project progress and project financials).
- The Committee will make available to TBRI President an updated summary which is to include a listing of the total number of applications considered by the Committee, budgets, objectives and the outcomes of the applications.
- Ensure the project close out procedure is completed
- Support activities of researchers by dissemination of their work.
- Developing external relationships with funding agencies, nationally and internationally and with other Universities and Research Institutions.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
- The function of the Committee is to ensure that research undertaken is of high quality and scientific merit.
- The Committee shall examine all proposals for research to be undertaken and evaluate these in terms of scientific merit, feasibility, methodology, statistical validity, potential benefit or risk, financial costs and benefits. This evaluation would be undertaken following submission in the prescribed format and, where necessary, by personal interview of the principal investigator.
- The Committee may communicate with other relevant bodies as ethics committee, in the interests of facilitating high quality, ethical research.
- All research projects involving humans and the use of animals must receive approval by the TBRI Research Committee before they are progressed to the relevant Human and/or Animal Ethics Committees for consideration and approval.
- The Committee shall seek final reports from investigators of the results of completed projects including publications arising from approved research projects and interim reports of on-going projects.
- The Committee shall appraise scientific aspects of proposed procedures to ensure that they comply with the relevant Code of Conduct and government regulations governing research involving experimental animals, genetically modified organisms, Occupational Health & Safety issues and radiation safety.
- All deliberations of the Committee shall be in confidence.
- All projects must have peer-review. A Scientific Review Panel is available to facilitate peer review.
The Research Committee shall consist of a Chairman and 15 members of the distinguished professors and heads of departments of the institute. They are appointed to represent the various research practices on the institute and to take strategic perspectives and subject areas into consideration. The membership of the Committee lasts for three years.
|Current Chair||Prof. Mohamed Abbas Shemis|
|Moderator of the Committee||Asst. Prof. Rabab sayed Zalat|
|Secretariat||M. Hosna Saber|
Membership as at March 1st, 2019
Permanent membership is based on position within the TBRI and Committee requirements.
|Prof. Moataz Syam||Head of Clinical Medical Department|
|Prof. Eman El Ahwany||Head of Immunology & Therapeutic Evaluation Department|
|Prof. Tarek Abo Shosha||Head of Clinical Research Department|
|Prof. Emad Esmat||Head of Clinical Surgical Department|
|Prof. El-Sayed Saleh||Head of Biochemistry & Medical chemistry Department|
|Prof. Hanaa EL-Khayat||Head of Environmental Research & Medical Malacology Department|
Current Nominated Members:
|Prof. Tarek El-Leithy||Head of Urology Lab|
|Prof. Eman Abd El Aziz||Head of the Haematology Lab|
|Prof. Ashraf Abd El-Khalik||Professor of Intensive Care|
|Prof. Olfat Hammam||Professor of Parasitology|
|Prof. Mohamed El-Emam||Professor of Malacology|
|Prof. Mohamed Saber||Professor of Biochemistry|
|Prof. Hanaa Ismail Hassanan||Professor of Immunology|
|Prof. Inas El-Defrawy||Professor of Microbiology|
|Prof. Nagwa El Khafif||Professor, Electronic Microscope Dep.|
MEETINGS AND PROCEDURES
The Committee holds at least one meeting per month or at the invitation call of the Chair of the Committee whenever it is deemed necessary.
The Chair will be responsible for preparing agendas, committee updates and other relevant and related committee correspondence.
In making decisions, the Project Steering Committee should aim for a consensus view. Where this is not achievable, the Project Steering Committee Chair will have the casting vote and be the final arbiter in decisions about the project.
Minutes will be taken by the Committee moderator Agendas shall be sent out in advance of the meeting.
The Research Committee is considered quorate where there are at least 50% plus one members present.
The Project peer review process involves the evaluation of applications by External and internal reviewers who have the required experience and expertise to assess the scientific quality, the potential impact of the proposed research and the research-related activities, within the context of the funding opportunity objectives. These reviewers are grouped based on their expertise and the topics of applications.
Peer Reviewer are responsible for:
- Evaluating individual applications.
- Evaluating interim and and final reports of accepted research projects.
|Prof. Mohamed Abbas Shemis||Chairman of the Projects Committee|
|Asst. Prof. Rabab sayed Zalat||Moderator of the Committee|
|M. Hosna Saber||Secretariat of the Committee||0100616894|
Number Of Projects Managed By TBRI Per Year
Projects approved for 2018: 27 projects.
Projects approved for 2017: 12 projects.
Projects approved for 2016: 24 projects.
Projects approved for 2015: 23 projects.
Call for Proposals
(May 23, 2019)
Research Project Committee (RPC) invites TBRI researchers to submit their proposals in one of the following six domains:
- Diseases Control
- Pathological Changes
- Advanced Technologies
- Quality Control
Priority will be given to projects of applied nature expected to have a positive, health, scientific and economic impact.
The closing date for proposal submission is June 30, 2019.